Oversized cargo is called such, the dimensions and parameters of which do not fit into certain standards. Most often it is construction and agricultural machinery, industrial equipment, small size vessels, large-sized all-welded metal structures.
Transportation of oversized cargo is a difficult task even for experienced logisticians who need to choose the right vehicle, calculate the load and think about the best route. At each stage of transportation - from loading into a vehicle to unloading at the consignee’s warehouse - it is necessary to ensure the safety of the cargo and its safety for people and the environment.
What goods are considered oversized?
When organizing international transportation of oversized cargo, it is necessary to take into account the peculiarities of the legislation of different countries. Requirements for cargo parameters may vary. For France, the width of the cargo is considered decisive - it should not exceed 3 meters, and for Germany its height (no more than 4.5 meters).
In Russia, the category of oversized cargo includes loads that exceed the size:
- in width - 2.55 m (for isothermal bodies - 2.6 m);
- in height - 4 m (from the level of the carriageway);
- in length - 12 m for a single vehicle or trailer and 20 m - for a road train.
In addition to dimensions, the maximum permissible total mass of the vehicle can also be taken into account. For heavy loads, axle load is considered to be a determining parameter. Depending on the number of axles in Russia, the total mass of the vehicle varies from 18 to 32 tons for a single car and from 28 to 44 tons for an auto train. If these parameters are exceeded, special permission is required.
International transportation of oversized cargo
Logistics company "Express Logistics" organizes international transportation of oversized cargo. The service includes:
- selection of the optimal route of delivery in accordance with the requirements of national legislation in the field of freight transport, adopted in those countries through which the transit of cargo will be carried out;
- preparation and coordination of accompanying and permissive documents;
- determination of the order of loading and unloading, providing support and protection of cargo during transportation;
- registration of insurance policy and customs documents for oversized cargo.
Cargo delivery can be carried out by different types of transport:
The most popular way of transportation is by car. It is used when there is an opportunity between the countries of the sender and the recipient to organize a transit route by land. Depending on the type of cargo, different types of transport are used:
- low bed semi-trailers;
- tractors and road trains.
For the loading and unloading of oversized heavy cargo, special means and devices are used, and truck cranes with increased payload.
Sea transportation of oversized cargo is used if there are no land borders between the countries - participants of trade relations and it is not possible to organize transit by land. Dimensions of cargo ships allow placing large consignments of goods or cargo of any size.
Highly qualified specialists of the logistics company provide an individual approach to the organization of transportation of large and non-standard cargo. The customer is given the opportunity to control the location of the cargo all the way to the consignee’s warehouse.